Thursday 23 December 2010

Literary Blog Hop

Literary Blog Hop

Greetings, one-legged literatti.

It's been a pretty busy time here at Learning To Read. Check out reviews of The Subject Steve, Cold Comfort Farm, and the rather good Five Boys for evidence. There's also thoughts on what age is a good age to be published by, and the lack of female writers on my shelf.

This Hop's Question:

What literary title (fiction or non-fiction) do you love that has been under-appreciated? We all know about the latest Dan Brown, and James Patterson isn't hurting for publicity. What quiet masterpiece do you want more readers to know?

We all know Richard Adams' Watership Down. But How many people have read the beautiful, sexual, frightening and dark The Girl in a Swing? Remember, Watership Down is his idea of a kid's book, so imagine how serious he gets when he writes for adults.

10 comments:

  1. That's a good way of seeing things. I'll be on the lookout for Richard Adams next time I go bookshopping

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason I like books that can both be described as "sexual" and "dark" ... I'm not a weird pervert I promise ... but I'll be checking out The Girl in a Swing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Watership Down as a kid, not heard of this, that needs rectifying, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of The Girl in a Swing, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Watership Down before, but not The Girl in a Swing. Thanks for sharing, and I'll try to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watership Down has been on my list of favorite reads since I first read this book when it originally appeared. Never tried Girl in a Swing, but, then again, I often don't like subsequent writing of the authors of a favorite book. Must give this a try.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/quiet-masterpieces.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding this to my TBR pile! Thanks!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. Have a wonderful time with them!

    Here is my Literary Blog Hop post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of him...interesting.

    I am new to this blog hop...nice to meet you.

    Elizabeth
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete